This contest is a project of the Commission on Population and Department of Health Regional Offices 10 in coordination with the Department of Education Region-10. This project hopes to contribute to the reduction of teenage pregnancy in the Region through various behavior change communication strategies. This year’s Short Film Making Contest on Adolescent Sexuality and Reproductive Health (ASRH) has a theme “Ang Pag-aaral Ay Para Sa Hinaharap, Huwag Ipagpalit sa Sandaling Sarap”.
Eight (8) secondary schools in Cagayan de Oro participated this contest. Liceo de Cagayan University’s (LDCU) film titled “Orasan” emerged first place winner for best picture. “Orasan” was a film about high school students who got HIV as a result of their risky sexual behaviors and practices.
Liceo was awarded P10,000 plus trophy. The awarding ceremony was held at the Centrio Mall in Cagayan de Oro City on November 9, 2015, where, all eight entries were shown in public. POPCOM Executive Director Juan Antonio Perez and the Director Nimfa B. Torrizo of DOH-10 gave inspiring messages during the activity. Prior to the film festival and awarding ceremony, preparatory activities were conducted by POPCOM-10, such as:
- Consultative meeting with the moderators/coaches of the participating schools. This was conducted on July 15, 2015. The moderators/coaches were asked to contribute ideas on how to improve the 2015 short film making contest. The moderators freely gave their comments and suggestions which included, among others: 1) Judges should be people not connected to any school, 2) criteria for judging must be given earlier, 3) there must be an award for the scriptwriter, and 4) schedule of training on ASRH and Film making should be during exam week, and dates of submission of entries, film review, film festival must be communicated to the schools earlier.
- Training on ASRH and Basics of Film Making. This was attended by the directors, scriptwriters, and moderators in August. RPO-10 hired a consultant who acted as a resource person for the training. The 2-day training focused on topics about ASRH and film making. They were taught how to write a story, shoot a scene and edit films.
- Review and critiquing of the film entries. This was conducted on October 12, 2015. The judges reviewed the film submitted by the schools to make sure no foul languages and erotic scenes are included in the films. After the review, the students edited their films based on the suggestions and recommendations of the judges.
- Final Viewing and Judging. This was done on October 19 at the RPO-10 office. The internal and external judges viewed all the films and rated each based on the criteria for judging and them. (Ang Pag-aaral Ay Para Sa Hinaharap, Huwag Ipagpalit Sa Sandaling Sarap”).
- RPO-10 forwarded the film of Liceo de Cagayan University to POPCOM Central Office as its official entry for the national level competition.
Other winners of the contest are the following:
|Best Movie Poster||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Thought-Out||Iponan National High School|
|2nd Runner-up||Tabanog||Lapasan National High School|
|Best Supporting Actress||Theresa Angelica Baldoza||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Jasmine Cornilla||Prezzo Fatale||St. Mary’s School|
|2nd Runner-up||Sabina Alipio||Thought-Out||Iponan National High School|
|Best Supporting Actor||Geeric Christi Anthony Guigue||Basul 3 – Sayang||Sacred Heart of Jesus Montessori School|
|1st Runner-up||Alexander Taclob||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|2nd Runner-up||Vhenxcel Bantilan||Lami||MOGCHS|
|Best Actress||Jojie Flavia Mahawan||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Nadine Velasco||Prezzo Fatale||St. Mary’s School|
|2nd Runner-up||Camila Ricablanca||Lami||MOGCHS|
|Best Actor||Christ Ian Caballero||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Xy Ramos||Prezzo Fatale||St. Mary’s School|
|2nd Runner-up||Gleen Mark Hervias||Tabanog||Lapasan National High School|
|Best Screenplay||Angelyne Bonani||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Mae Keziah Gerong||Prezzo Fatale||St. Mary’s School|
|2nd Runner-up||Marvie Janine Paculba||Duaw||Immanuel Mission International School|
|Best Director||John Vincent Mangubat||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Jewel Arnejo||Prezzo Fatale||St. Mary’s School|
|2nd Runner-up||Gabrielle Love Acero||Duaw||Immanuel Mission International School|
|Best Picture||Orasan||Liceo de Cagayan University|
|1st Runner-up||Prezzo Fatale||St. Mary’s School|
|2nd Runner-up||Duaw||Immanuel Mission International School|